Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Passion Re-Kindled

Although it has been well over a year since I have offered any reflections on this site it has never been far from my thoughts. It has waited - patiently - for me to return, and today I realized that with excitment.

My passion for the issues of Palestine and Israel were quieted while I completed my studies and began serving in full time ministry. In the past few months my passions have been stirred awake so that the issues of this tormented land are, once again, never far from my thoughts.

In response to these stirrings I have composed prayers for each of the last two meetings of Twin Valleys Presbytery, in an effort to help raise awareness of the issues of Palestine and Israel. These prayers created the incentive to return to blogging.

Please pray with me:

Merciful and gracious God my heart aches for peace in the Middle East. I pray that the hearts and minds of Israeli and Palestinian people might be opened to recognizing the value of a peaceful resolution to the conflict between their countries. I pray that all those who engage in conflict might catch one fleeting glimpse of how their world could look under a realm that honours justice, dignity, diversity and love. Merciful and gracious God my heart yearns to witness the coming of your kindom throughout the world, but especially in the Holy Land. God, I pray for peace. Hear my prayer... (September 16, 2010).

Creator God, I pray for peace in my heart and understanding in my mind. I confess that my freedom and my power give me a particular perspective on the world. In that awareness I acknowledge that my truth - my reality - is not universal. And so I pray for all who live under the burden of oppression. Especially, I pray for Palestinian farmers, who struggle to earn their livelihood under the domination of an intimidating government and military. I pray that those who tend fields and flocks, orchards and vineyards, may be recognized as human beings; people merely seeking security and comfort in their lives. Creator God, I pray for peace and understanding, hear my prayer and in your mercy answer... (November 19, 2010)

May it be so!

Blessings,
Rob.

2 comments:

Deborah Laforet said...

Thanks Rob. It feels like a prayer from your heart and I appreciate your sharing it. Great to see you writing again.

arcolaura said...

Good to see you back, Rob. I appreciate your trust that there will be a time for responding to each felt call.