Saturday, December 13, 2008

Joy in the Desert


As this Advent journey toward Christmas continues, I have tried to focus my thoughts each week, on the Lectionary theme of the week. With this week being the one in which the candle of Joy will be lit in many Advent wreaths, I have been conscious of where I have recognized joy, in light of my experience in the Middle East.

Well, one image of joy that is burned brightly into my memory comes from our delegation's tour through northern parts of the Negev Desert, where we visited with several Bedouin in their villages and homes. Most of these villages are "unrecognized" by the government and a number of the homes have demolition orders served on them.

Anyway, the image of joy that is burned brightly into my memory is that of Nuri Elokbi who is adamantly protesting for the rights of the Bedouin as citizens of Israel. When our delegation visited with him at his protest tent on the edge of the Ambassador’s Forest in the Negev, one member of our group got a photograph of him… Now in his late 60s, Nuri’s face is dark and wrinkled by the desert sun and wind. But it’s not a harsh, hard-looking face; it’s soft and gentle. His eyes are dark and bright. His hair, once he uncovered his head from the kefiya he was wearing, was neat and is mostly gray… And the photograph shows him with this wonderful, beautiful, amazing smile on his face…

To me, Nuri’s is the face of joy in the desert. His face reflects the desperate search through uncertainty that results in hope… His face reflects the energy one must give up to be a maker of peace… His face shines with love… Pure and simple love… The face of the Holy…

And so, as I continue my preparations for Joy Sunday, I will hold the image of Nuri Elokbi's face in my memory.

Blessings,
Rob.

(When I get a copy of the photo I spoke about above, I will post it. Also, this posting includes an excerpt from my "Reflections & Ponderings" for Sunday, December 14, 2008. For an email copy of the complete text, please drop me a line. R.)

1 comment:

Deborah Laforet said...

It is good to hear a story from your trip. It sounds like this man had a big impact on you. It's amazing how different his work is compared to ours, and yet also similar. May we all experience the joy that comes from hope in justice and peace in our communities.