Monday, December 22, 2008

O Little Town of Bethlehem


Greetings,

Yesterday my reflection was focused on the place where some people might argue "it all started." The story of the Christian faith, that is... Bethlehem... And, in light of this focus, I wanted to share with you an excerpt from my reflection:

"When I was in Bethlehem at the end of November, and although I probably should have known better, I was surprised that it really didn't look anything like I've been led to believe it looks like on the different Christmas cards I've seen. Indeed, it was nothing like that, at all.

"Probably the two most powerful images that I saw while I was in Bethlehem were murals painted on the sides of buildings. The first was probably six or eight feet in diameter. It was of a dove, in full flight with its wings spread. It was looking straight ahead - at the artist, so to speak. And this dove, with its penetrating stare, was wearing a bullet-proof vest. And, superimposed over the heart of the dove was the laser target from some kind of weapon that is meant to challenge the entire peace process...

"The second image, also a mural, showed a larger-than-life Israeli soldier with his back to the artist. His arms were raised above his head and spread against the wall of the building he was painted onto. His feet were spread and set back from the wall. It was a painting of an Israeli soldier, assuming the position of the oppressed... There was one other piece of this mural. It was the painting of a small girl in a frilly dress, reaching out to "pat down" the soldier. For me, the image simply illustrated the disparity between the oppressed and the oppressor in the conflict that plagues the Holy Land. And I have to say that, it often doesn't seem to make a lot of sense."

And so, I hold these images carefully as I think about how time has been difficult for the City of David and how I hear the title of its Christmas hymn as a lament...

In this season of hope, peace, joy and love, in the understanding and acceptance that in all the major faith traditions, God or Yahweh or Allah, are revered because of their love and justice, I pray that the people will follow the path of their God, and that that path will begin in hope, travelling through justice, to arrive at peace.

Blessings,
Rob.

Once again, when I receive photos of these murals, I'll post them.

1 comment:

Deborah Laforet said...

When I hear about Bethlehem in stories, I admit that I see it as a nice cozy little town, with inns and stables and lots of lights. (Now where did all that light come from? Candles? Hmmm....) Having been there first hand, I can imagine that you see it much differently now. I'm sure that even the way I see it in my imagination is not how it looked 2000 years ago. The town has been very romanticized as the birth place of Jesus.

Someday I hope to make this trip. I see it as a pilgrimage to the origin of my faith stories. I'm sure it will make me view these stories a bit differently.