Thursday, October 16, 2008

Bottle Drive

Hello!

One of the ministry opportunities that I have is spending time each week with children in the Gainsborough community. These "kids" are from 5 to 12 years old and they gather at the church for a time of storytelling, snack, prayer, song and activity, that we call "Kids Club."

Yesterday, I had the chance to talk with the children about my upcoming GPE to Israel and I shared stories with them about how far away Israel is from Gainsborough, Saskatchewan, Canada. We talked about how long it might take me to get to Israel and how I would be doing that (e.g., walking to my van; driving to Winnipeg; flying on an airplane to Toronto and then to Israel).

We also talked about some of the trouble that people are experiencing in Israel. We talked about the trouble some children have in getting to school. We talked about the wall that is being built and how it makes life hard for some people. We talked about how some people live in caves and how when others try to build houses, they get knocked down.

We also spent a wee bit of time learning the Hebrew word "Shalom," and how in our language, it means "Peace." When we meet for Kids Club in the future, we might learn some more Hebrew or Arabic words.

In response to my stories, the other leaders and the kids in Kids Club decided that they wanted to support me on my GPE. So, they have decided to hold a bottle drive to raise money for me. Again, it's an amazing expression of spirit-filled generosity, and for that I say, "Thank you!"

Blessings,
Rob.

No comments: