Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Prayer Shawls


Greetings!

I have pondered the subject of this posting for a couple of weeks and anticipate that I may have more to say about it, at a later date...

In the meantime, I will tell you that I've been the recipient of a prayer shawl from the people of the Seymour Pastoral Charge in Ontario. A fellow CPT delegation participant and CCS classmate received and passed along shawls to other delegation members, on behalf of the good folks of Hoards, Stanwood and Tabernacle. The card that accompanied my shawl said, "Peacefully remembering you as you prepare to travel. Peace be with you."

As I hold the shawl in my hands or feel it wrapped around my shoulders, arms and neck, I have a deep sense of being truly blessed. Not only does this shawl provide a tangible reminder of relationships woven together through innumberable life experiences, but it also provides a soft, warm feeling - literally - of being cared for and carried. If that doesn't sound like a blessing, I'm not sure what would...

I am still undecided whether or not I will take my prayer shawl when I go to the Middle East, as space will be limited. Until that time though, I gratefully accept its accompanying prayer and offer the simple response of, "And also with you," to everyone who is connected to me through this gesture of care.

Blessings,
Rob.

1 comment:

Deborah Laforet said...

Rob,
What a wonderful and thoughtful idea! I also have a couple of prayers shawls that are very meaningful to me. When I wrap them around me, I feel the warmth and love from those who created them.

Bring the picture of the shawl with you. It might not be as warm, but it will remind you that there are many of us back home who are thinking of you and wish you peace on your trip.