Saturday, October 11, 2008

Thanksgiving

Greetings,

I wanted to take a moment or two to say "Thank you" to those who have supported me, thus far, on this experience. Beyond the financial support (which I truly appreciate), another form of support is the genuine interest that folks are showing, since the announcement of my GPE. This is really quite amazing! I get a sense as well, that the conversations we have act as a catalyst for you to (perhaps) pay more attention to the events that are happening in the world, that don't really seem to directly effect you. I believe that this is one way that exposure and awareness to the kind of peace initiatives that are needed in the world can happen and I think that CPT relies on these kinds of interactions - like our conversations - to help raise the profile of their ministry.

As far as support goes, in the past few weeks I have experienced three unique expressions of support that I wanted to share with you:

First, a pair of friends with deep connections to the CCS Diaconal program offered a financial contribution to my GPE. For whatever their reason, I would like to think that some of it has to do with their affirmation of my call to diaconal ministry and that, in our time of getting to know each other, they have recognized something in me that gives them hope... I don't know for sure, I'm simply assuming. Anyway, in a very pay-it-forwardish kind of way, I find in their generosity, a challenge for me to find opportunities to support future CCS students in their educational adventures. This particular expression of support also reminds me of the web that exists in the diaconal community; a web of care and compassion, concern and celebration.

The second expression happened yesterday when folks from the Gainsborough church (Knox United) hosted a soup and sandwich lunch and bake sale as a fundraiser. The purpose of this event was to raise money that could be shared between a capital renovation project at the church, my GPE, and perhaps other church related needs. Well, it was one of those times when your on the edge of chaos and creeping ever closer to panic as the sandwich mixes and bread runs low and people keep coming and coming. It was great! We were making sandwiches, stirring soup, slicing dessert, clearing tables, washing dishes; people kept changing places in the kitchen, going from dish washer to server to slicer to dish washer; people came in to eat lunch and go, eat lunch and sit for a spell. It was one of those times when one catches a glimpse of real communion; flesh and blood communion... It's about relationships and caring for one another. It's about sharing burdens and joys and work. Christ is alive!

And, the third expression: I heard about it yesterday, but it's been happening for awhile. There is a young fellow who is connected with the Gainsborough church who seems to be very interested about my GPE. He has been telling his friends at school about it. he is finding ways to share his own allowance to support me, and he's coming up with innovative ways to raise more funds. For some reason his yearning to explore and discover, and his zest for life have found nurture and sustenance in my GPE. In his person, I see the spirit of positive attitude, possibility and hope, and I am reminded that children are full contributors to our communities.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Blessings,
Rob.

1 comment:

Deborah Laforet said...

Wow Rob! You are truly blessed with many expressions of love and support. You have lots to be thankful for. I am thankful that our family was invited to join a family from our congregation for Thanksgiving supper. That was a blessing, and we had a wonderful time.

Thanks for sharing!