Friday, November 14, 2008

What Isn't Being Said


Hello,

I thought that it would be good to name that there are some topics concerning Israel and the Palestinian Territories that I have not addressed, to date. My reason for this is that the things I know are interpreted from what I've read. They are not things which I have experienced first hand, and though I might trust the sources of the information, they are not my stories.

Still, I would like you to recognize that the stories I've read about the Separation Wall are stories that I carry. Perhaps I will be enlightened to its purpose, its limitations, and even its virtues once I meet some of those who contend with it on a daily basis...

And I would like you to recognize that the stories I've read about the political situation - the impending election - are stories that I carry. Perhaps I will learn from another's experience, the privilege it is to participate freely in decision-making. Perhaps I will be party to the hopes and fears of change; change that has the ability to radically alter one's life...

This evening I also read an internet story about a rocket attack in Gaza... The ramifications of this upon my journey may or may not be fully known in such a time as to affect this delegation. The truth is that for as much as we can prepare for anything, the reality we experience can be profoundly different from anything we might anticipate.

Someone told me today that to understand God's time, God's will, God's purpose for us, we must be patient. This is good advice as the number of sleeps (4) until I wing across the Atlantic become fewer and fewer. And so, the best preparation I can think of is to be rested and open; it's not to read too much into the little snippets we're fed in the media, which I am convinced has its own agenda.

And as for those things that aren't being said, maybe once they become part of my story, I'll feel more comfortable talking about them.

Blessings,
Rob.


1 comment:

Deborah Laforet said...

I agree with you about the media. It's difficult to know what to take from the mainstream media. It would be great to hear which resources you are reading from (when you get back).

I do look forward to hearing more of your observations and reflections when you return. Make sure you journal while you are there. It may help you organize your thoughts when you return home. My unsolicited advice...I hope that's OK.

Have a good flight and just be.
Blessings!!