Sunday, November 2, 2008

Peace Sabbath


Greetings,

Earlier this week, as I took some reflection time in my office, my eyes settled on a button pinned to my bulletin board. In a multi colored script it said, "If you want peace work for justice."

Yesterday, as I was pondering thoughts about Peace Sabbath, these words came back to me, and what I realized is that as much as we might long to live, day after day in peace, peace is the end product. In that way, peace becomes the goal.

I can't help but think how easily the word is tossed around, to the point where the word itself almost becomes meaningless. And so, I wonder if instead of simply speaking it, as something that is out there, we should pay more attention to the words (or actions, or tasks) that get us to peace? I wonder if instead of worrying about how insurmountable the work of achieving peace might seem, we should put our hearts, minds, backs, hands, feet and voices into those things that help to make peace a reality?

And so, I wonder... I wonder what the result of being humble would be? I wonder what playing fair really looks like? I wonder what justice means to those who simply want to live simply? I wonder if the difficult and time-consuming work of truth and reconciliation is worth the end result? I wonder what the hidden message in Jesus commandment to love was? I wonder what it will take to accept the work of peace, instead of thinking it's someone else's responsibility?

Blessings,
Rob.

1 comment:

Deborah Laforet said...

So many questions...with so much to think about. I didn't specifically talk about peace today, but I did talk about mutuality and power. About living in mutuality with others, but recognizing your power, and knowing how to use it for the benefit of others. I think this awareness could go a long way towards peace.